Friday, February 22, 2013

Week 7: Field Observation 4

In the video we watched this week I like the classroom's organization and vibrant colors. I think they make the classroom an inviting place and I also think all of the fun colors would be a reflection of me and my desired style of teaching. When they showed the classroom at the beginning that was "calming" I did not like it at all. I thought it looked boring and cold. Most of the ideas in the main classroom I liked though. A couple of things that I think would not be appropriate for a middle level classroom would be the carpet for circle time and the different insects as labels for each group of desks. I think that there needs to be space for group reading time or other kinds of group work but the carpet idea seems to be a bit elementary. For instance, it could be awkward for growing bodies to have to sit in such a small space and so close to one another. The different labels are creative but a bit child-centered as well. I think that just giving different groups a color or letting them name their group could be a better alternative.
The idea of form following function means that things in your classroom should serve a purpose. When I think of this I particularly think of displays on the wall in the classroom, whether that be a bulletin board or something else. I think that wall displays need to be creative and fun but they also need to have a reason behind them, preferably one that encourages learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment